Excuse my…short vacation. I’ve fallen very behind, so I’ll do my best to catch up quickly!
…Two months ago, my friend (whom I’ve known since high school) had her wedding shower. Well, her maid-of-honor and bridesmaids (including me :)) were in charge of planning it. I volunteered to bring the cake – we decided that we would need a sheet cake since there was quite a crowd coming. I had trouble deciding between a red velvet cake and this peppermint patty cake, but we settled on a double-layer peppermint patty cake because it seemed more ‘different’, and we felt the bride-to-be would like the combination of chocolate and mint. The week of, I got a bit nervous about making it since it was a new recipe to me, so I decided to make a trial cake. I bought this half-sheet pan because I didn’t want to just serve it out of a disposable pan, and I needed to make two layers. Another bridesmaid gave me a lovely platter that we could display the cake on, so I wanted to work with that.
I reviewed the recipe and noticed there was a discrepancy in number of eggs between the ingredient list and directions. For my trial cake, I went with two eggs, which turned out to be the wrong decision. The cake turned out so thin, I was very disappointed — but glad that this was a trial!! I was going to bring this cake into work, so I ended up slicing it in three and making it a rectangular layer cake.
Even though the cake didn’t seem ‘right’, I still wanted to do it for the shower, but figured I’d make some changes. I used just one egg and store-bought buttermilk (rather than my milk and vinegar substitute). The first layer was successful! It was thicker and fluffier, not thin and dense. I flipped it out onto the platter and had to trim it a bit so it’d fit nicely. The hard part was turning out the second layer on top of it. How many people did it take to figure that out? Three. I turned the layer onto my silpat mat, and while my parents held that and kinda loosely shook it off, I aligned it with the bottom layer, and they kept pulling the silpat away. Phew. Then I had to trim that layer.
For the writing, I obviously didn’t want to mess up on the cake, so I wrote it (using chocolate candy melts in a Ziploc bag) on wax paper and let it harden on that first. Then I put it on the cake. It broke in some places, so I’d add some more chocolate or just strategically placed the letters so you wouldn’t notice they were broken. I think it worked!
It was so much fun baking for a big party and having so many people enjoying the cake and getting seconds or requesting the recipe! I think my friend was quite happy with her cake – she said that her mom, who’s not usually a fan of mint, liked it a lot as well.
For the shower, I was in charge of a few other things, including the cheese and crackers.
So much deliciousness in one place! Since that day, I baked for a few more special events, so stay tuned!